The File popped in to my home and made me dish out all my beauty secrets...
The File is a wonderful beauty destination that takes an insider's view into the homes & beauty cabinets of style influencers around the world while delivering a tight edit of the industry’s best beauty products. It’s a raw, real and personal take on beauty and I love it's extensive take into people's lives and wardrobes in addition to it's terrific beauty coverage. I was honored that my friends at this beautiful website wanted to take a peek into my home and frankly, terrified that they wanted to have a look into my cupboards and draws (cue manic tidying)! So thank you to The File for the wonderful interview below and making me seriously consider if I need that 10 year old mascara!
"She’s got a social life that’s as hectic as her multiple day jobs, but Croatian-born former model, Tanja Gacic, perpetually looks fresher than a cucumber slice in Hendricks on ice. Explain this sorcery, human!?"
“I am actually quite low maintenance and very quick with my beauty routine on a regular day,” Tanja insists. “I love natural and organic products because I believe in reducing the toxins in my life. I feel better knowing that these choices are contributing to a better world, supporting far-flung communities and the Earth’s ecology.It can be done in an amazing way - look at Aesop or Grown Alchemist,” she says. “They smell delicious and look amazing! Some things are a little harder to find than others – I am still to find amazing hair products that are completely organic or certain make-up/foundation that really works for me.”
If those sound like the words of a woman well versed in beauty, it’s because she’s earned her credentials.
Tanja currently lists Blogger, Writer, Stylist, Photographer and Creative Director among her professional posts - all titles that sit pretty comfortably under umbrella title ‘Businesswoman-Brand’. But before taking the reins on her personal career she successfully shimmied her way through a decade being professionally gorgeous for other people.
Working as a model between New York and her beloved adopted home Sydney (“The lifestyle just cannot be beaten… it has the best mix of natural beauty and cosmopolitan perks”), Tanja scored primo make-up and beauty tricks from the pros (e.g. her step-by-step guide to indelible lipstick application is one you need to bookmark immediately).
Beauty, she says, is so important because it makes you feel good. “Even on days when I don’t wear any make-up, I have my little rituals that make me feel pampered and soft, which in turn makes me feel amazing.”
So what are these rituals and how, with a plate stacked like hers, does Tanja find time for them?“I am so time poor!” she says. “I do my routine so quickly – most times it is in the car, while waiting at the lights!”
“The trick is to have a great foundation – I really love Armani’s Designer Lift. Then a bit of YSL’s Touche Éclat, some Natio bronzer lightly as a contour, a thickening and lengthening mascara and a really good eyebrow pencil plus a great lip balm like Carla Oates – done!”
Tanja’s got the kind of confident, unpredictable sense of style that’s not at odds with the chameleonic aesthetic demands of any model.“It’s all encompassing and non discriminatory,” she says of her impossible-to-pigeonhole look.“I love playing with trends, colours, decades, characters, vintage, high-end, low-end, glitzy, basic, et cetera. Clothes are so important because they convey your personality. I suppose my Gemini moon gives me lots of personalities!”
A woman with lots of personality? Darned if it isn’t one of our favourite things.
See more of this story and pictures ( not to mention shop my beauty products ) on The File here!
Photographed by Rudy Zverina
Words by Susannah Tucker
Comfort can be an elusive thing on planes but none the less it is the one thing we all seek in the experience. Along with the extra legroom, the window seat ,the glass (or three ) of red wine and new release movies that I inevitably boil my eyes to (what is it about planes that makes me extra emotional?) , I also have numerous little things I need to feel at home. No matter which class I am travelling, I want to feel cosy, moisturised, and well rested. Throughout my long career as a wagabond, I have experimented with various in flight essentials and these babies are my current must haves…
CLOCKWISE FROM LEFT
1.Coach tote: This pretty rose strewn tote is strong enough to carry my computer and other heavy duty items and colour match my monochrome outfits
2. Slip silk eyemask : Why would anyone want to put harsh nylon on their precious eyes when this cloud like eyemask exists in the world? It feels as soft as angel wings and in fact I take it everywhere -it’s a great back up to have in case your hotel doesn’t have blackout blinds. I feel as conditioned as Pavlov’s dogs these days because as soon as I put it on I feel sleepy. Zzzzzzz
3. Love and Strife natural perfume by Aromatika – this tiny little roll on perfume smells of Morrocco and is small enough to have as back up on long, stinky overnight flights
4. Kora Energising Citrus Mist: My pet hate is feeling parched on the plane. Spraying this on my face makes me feel like I am walking through an orange grove in light spring rain
5. Grown Alchemist Persian Rose and Argan Extract : I have this weird compulsion where I cannot have dry hands or lips while travelling by any means – it makes me irritable. Car, plain or train, I need my hands and lips to be soft. This rich hand cream is a must have.
6. Which brings us to Beauty Chef’s Beauty Fix balm : Sure, Carla Oates is sort of my sister in law, but this is not why I swear by this lip balm. Made from pure coconut and other organic ingredients it smells like a tropical holiday that is good enough to eat and great for your lips too.
7. Banjo & Mathilda cashmere pants : Talk about feeling cosy! These babies wrap you up in a 100% pure cashmere cacoon + are a sport luxe version of trakkie pants. Win win
8. Clinique’s cheek colour balm: A little rosy touch up on the other end goes a long way
9. Better You DLux vitamin D: vitamin D is so important in maintaining immunity -since flights out of Australia can be up to 30 hrs long, I take this little spray bottle with me to top up my vitamin D on the go ( Fpr immunity I also take 3000mg of vit C, 2000mg of Magnesium, some Armaforce and Whitania –both super adaptogens and immune boosters because there is no point getting there just to get sick )
10. SKII Facial Treatment Mask : If you don’t mind looking like a burns patient and don’t care about scaring small children, this SKII mask contains powerful pietera extracts to leave your skin in better condition than when you started the trip. Put on when the lights go down for sleep time and take off when you awake. Alternatively,put it on once you are at your hotel and all showered up & ready for a nap. Moisture surge guaranteed.
11. Anya Hindmarch travel pouch: Say goodbye to struggling with collecting all your toiletries and stuffing them in those annoying little plastic bags when going through luggage screening. This bag will hold all your essentials and you won’t need to take anything out – the clear windows are 100% customs friendly.
12. Ysl Babydoll mascara: Want to have wide awake eyes on the other end? Fluff them up with this golden wand.
13. Wot Not facial wipes : These are the most moisturising wipes I have ever tried and they contain all natural, organic ingredients such as aloe vera, rosehip and sweet almond oil. Deliciously good for your skin and handy for taking off make up or refreshing your face
14. Stila perfecting concealer: This concealer packs a punch and is your secret ally after tiring overnight trips. A little goes a long way so use sparingly.
15. Trilogy Rose Hip Oil: Another in the Ultimate Moisture Team. Good for everyday and the plane, this is my secret weapon for combating anti aging, dryness and imperfections.
16. Therapy Range Sleep pulse point : 100% natural aromatherapy oils of lavender and chamomile will make you irrisistible to Sand Man and beautifully relaxed. Say aaaaah!
17. Aesop Facial Hydrating cream is ultra rich and smells oh so delicious. Layer on post SKII mask and Rose Hip oil for ultimate in flight softness