Comfort can be an elusive thing on planes but none the less it is the one thing we all seek in the experience. Along with the extra legroom, the window seat ,the glass (or three ) of red wine and new release movies that I inevitably boil my eyes to (what is it about planes that makes me extra emotional?) , I also have numerous little things I need to feel at home. No matter which class I am travelling, I want to feel cosy, moisturised, and well rested. Throughout my long career as a wagabond, I have experimented with various in flight essentials and these babies are my current must haves…
CLOCKWISE FROM LEFT
1.Coach tote: This pretty rose strewn tote is strong enough to carry my computer and other heavy duty items and colour match my monochrome outfits
2. Slip silk eyemask : Why would anyone want to put harsh nylon on their precious eyes when this cloud like eyemask exists in the world? It feels as soft as angel wings and in fact I take it everywhere -it’s a great back up to have in case your hotel doesn’t have blackout blinds. I feel as conditioned as Pavlov’s dogs these days because as soon as I put it on I feel sleepy. Zzzzzzz
3. Love and Strife natural perfume by Aromatika – this tiny little roll on perfume smells of Morrocco and is small enough to have as back up on long, stinky overnight flights
4. Kora Energising Citrus Mist: My pet hate is feeling parched on the plane. Spraying this on my face makes me feel like I am walking through an orange grove in light spring rain
5. Grown Alchemist Persian Rose and Argan Extract : I have this weird compulsion where I cannot have dry hands or lips while travelling by any means – it makes me irritable. Car, plain or train, I need my hands and lips to be soft. This rich hand cream is a must have.
6. Which brings us to Beauty Chef’s Beauty Fix balm : Sure, Carla Oates is sort of my sister in law, but this is not why I swear by this lip balm. Made from pure coconut and other organic ingredients it smells like a tropical holiday that is good enough to eat and great for your lips too.
7. Banjo & Mathilda cashmere pants : Talk about feeling cosy! These babies wrap you up in a 100% pure cashmere cacoon + are a sport luxe version of trakkie pants. Win win
8. Clinique’s cheek colour balm: A little rosy touch up on the other end goes a long way
9. Better You DLux vitamin D: vitamin D is so important in maintaining immunity -since flights out of Australia can be up to 30 hrs long, I take this little spray bottle with me to top up my vitamin D on the go ( Fpr immunity I also take 3000mg of vit C, 2000mg of Magnesium, some Armaforce and Whitania –both super adaptogens and immune boosters because there is no point getting there just to get sick )
10. SKII Facial Treatment Mask : If you don’t mind looking like a burns patient and don’t care about scaring small children, this SKII mask contains powerful pietera extracts to leave your skin in better condition than when you started the trip. Put on when the lights go down for sleep time and take off when you awake. Alternatively,put it on once you are at your hotel and all showered up & ready for a nap. Moisture surge guaranteed.
11. Anya Hindmarch travel pouch: Say goodbye to struggling with collecting all your toiletries and stuffing them in those annoying little plastic bags when going through luggage screening. This bag will hold all your essentials and you won’t need to take anything out – the clear windows are 100% customs friendly.
12. Ysl Babydoll mascara: Want to have wide awake eyes on the other end? Fluff them up with this golden wand.
13. Wot Not facial wipes : These are the most moisturising wipes I have ever tried and they contain all natural, organic ingredients such as aloe vera, rosehip and sweet almond oil. Deliciously good for your skin and handy for taking off make up or refreshing your face
14. Stila perfecting concealer: This concealer packs a punch and is your secret ally after tiring overnight trips. A little goes a long way so use sparingly.
15. Trilogy Rose Hip Oil: Another in the Ultimate Moisture Team. Good for everyday and the plane, this is my secret weapon for combating anti aging, dryness and imperfections.
16. Therapy Range Sleep pulse point : 100% natural aromatherapy oils of lavender and chamomile will make you irrisistible to Sand Man and beautifully relaxed. Say aaaaah!
17. Aesop Facial Hydrating cream is ultra rich and smells oh so delicious. Layer on post SKII mask and Rose Hip oil for ultimate in flight softness
Next season is all about bronze. Yep, I'm calling it. Never have I been so excited about brown make up in my life. You see , I've discovered it's incredibly versatile. Not only can you shade and define, but you can add warmth, depth and contour. It is less obvious than black, yet just as sexy as a smoky eye.
I started this look by first applying the magical Diorskin Nude Tan BB cream as a primer and to brighten and even out the skintone and then applied Giorgio Armani's incredible sheer Maestro foundation over the top for a natural, yet flawless finish. Next up, I used Giorgio Armani's gorgeous bronzer in Bronza Mania just on and underneath the cheekbones and blended it outward toward the temples. Ofcourse, always use a little bronzer to define the jawline and the contours of the face for a photo ready finish. I wanted this look to be strong and defined so I used Benefit's eyebrow pencil to fill in eyebrows and create a full brow that will serve as a frame for the eyeshadow. I love the new Stila eyeshadow pots - pigment rich and easy to apply, they are a marbled mixture of different shades that are easy to blend into each other. Using it's shade in Groupie, I started with the darker portion in the inner corner of the eye and then blended that with the lighter portion to the outward corner of the eye, sweeping slightly upward at the outer edge and all the way up to the eyebrows.
Finish the eyes with a double application of Dior's Diorshow Iconic Curl mascara for eyelashes that are so intensified they could double for falsies. I wanted this look to be somewhat 80s, like Yves Saint Laurent girls on Rive Gauche and in fact, if you wanted to make this look more dramatic, it would be great paired with a dark red lip.For a more natural and luscious look , I matched this with Dior's incredible new Jelly Lip Pen in Ilhabela. These pens deliver just the right amount of sheer colour and shine without any stickiness associated with gloss while delivering moisture and care to the lips. I am not someone who likes gloss but these pens have had me converted!
Finally, add some sheen to the body with Nuxe's Huile Prodigieuse which mixes 95% natural ingredients to soften and moisturise and looks wonderfully golden in any light . Finish up with a light spray of Byredo Parfums' Rose Noir - just the sort of "dirty" rose scent I use when I want to be a little bronzed and dangerous.
Necklace by Samantha Wills
Hemp dress from Byron Bay markets