Spring is here and so is one of my ultra rare monochrome posts. Everyone knows I love colour, print and anything remotely over the top , so monochrome is a complete departure for me. I figure, there are so many awesome bloggers in the world that specialise in this tonal spectrum that I want you to experience something different from this blog. Still, secretly, I love monochrome. I also, not so secretly, love flats. For this post, I partnered up with Mimco to bring you how I do Day to Play, i.e. turn monochrome and flats on their head. Case in point ...
My favourite combination is mixing white with silver tone accessories. Most people discount white for nighttime looks, but in my mind it it looks so much more striking for evening wear. I love the boy/girl look but choosing a mannish silhouette need not mean being less feminine; go for soft, touchable knits and wide legged palazzo pants, then add cool silver toned accessories such as brogues and snake skin textured clutch
A big styling tip this season? Wear your cuffs over your sleeves (Dion Lee outfit, Mimco accessories)
Usually black patent leather is reserved for night time, however I find it really lifts an outfit up for daytime. Choose a simple tank and A line skirt in interesting, high tech fabrics then accessorise with fine gold tone jewellery and fun accessories for a 21st century take on a uniform
These loafers will look amazing with this season's ankle bearing jeans too! ( Calvin Klein outfit, Mimco accessories)
Hey hey - it’s finally spring! Trading in cold overcast days and upturned umbrellas for spring blooms and cold ciders on the beach is hardly a fair exchange but let’s face it, there is so much to miss about winter sartorially. Case in point; beautiful coats that let us get away with anything, thick cashmere sweaters that feel like a slice of home no matter the weather outside and cool over the knee boots that add Stevie Nicks’s irresistible allure to 70s maxis and split thigh skirts. Cold weather is so easy! But what about the encroaching warmth of Spring? Well!
This month, I’ve partnered with L’Oreal Paris in creating a weekly Spring Trend report ,dissecting not only lust fashion pieces but also the new (and frankly awesome) bronde trend currently sweeping the world. Beauty + fashion here we come!
Clockwise from top
1) Bronde : So what exactly is bronde? Bronde is neither a brunette nor a blonde. It’s not balayage or bright, stripey highlights ; it is an altogether different way of applying colour that is perfect for women who think that sitting on the fence serves the best of both worlds and whose natural shade of hair fits somewhere in the middle of these two tonal extremes. For me, it’s basically an excuse to be lazy with colouring - the bronde look is more forgiving while growing out and it’s subtle highlighting won’t change your hair dramatically. From mocha to café latte and honey blonde, bronde offers a range of shades used simultaneously that evokes a nuanced, sunkissed, multi dimensional colour - perfect for the 70s vibe still rocking on into Spring ( shade shown: L'Oreal Paris Preference Glam Lights No:3 Light Brown to Dark Blonde Hair )
2) Red baby, red! : This Spring it’s all about scarlett, fire-engine,poppy flower, geranium red. But in this season trend’s haste, let us not forget that red is also a forever colour. Especially when it’s in a YSL bag edition. This baby will look good with this season’s bohemian look or the looming 80s trend coming our way. Win, win
3) Aviator love : Aviators are the perfect accessory addition to maxi dresses, flares and stacked heel boots. These sunglasses sport a beautifully graded lense – what better way to see the world? ( Isabel Marant X Olivier Peoples sunglasses )
4) Gucci babyyyyy Gucci : No other label has captured the hearts of fashion editors worldwide as Gucci has with it’s recent 180º style U turn. With Alessandro Michele as it’s new Creative Director, Gucci has taken a new subversive turn - gone is the brash, overt sexuality of Gucci’s past and in it’s place is a label whose strengths lie in an unassuming, relaxed, romantic, 21st century baroque grunge look. I will be wearing my loafers with floral silk skirts, suits, jeans… basically - everything!
5.Vintage : The prevailing mood is still vintage – from the 70s, into early 80s, fashion is still tapping into decades past. And what is the best way to get the look? Easy! Go vintage! Scour your thrift shops, Ebay and upmarket vintage stores for gems whose new incarnations are all the vogue right now. Let’s face it, designers pay their assistants to do this for them – vintage clothes are an endless treasure trove of inspiration and pattern ideas. Bonus point: it’s unlikely that anyone is going to own your look! ( vintage Lanvin dress from Ebay )
6. Pearl me up : These are not your grandmother’s pearls – these days marine jewels have taken on an altogether more modern incarnation with designers such as Delfina Delettrez, Chanel, Givenchy and Balenciaga playing with them across fresh, fun and wholly contemporary accessories ( pictured: Sarina Sariano palm cuff and earrings )
7. Paris 4eva : Paris is many obvious superlative adjectives but what is with the world’s unending obsession with Parisian women? From their fashion style to their diets, we want to know how they do it with that je ne sais quoi ease and perfection. How to be Parisian Wherever you Are is a book that goes beyond clichés into tongue in cheek vaudeville . The amusing Anne Berest, Audrey Diwan, Caroline de Maigret and Sophie Mas dissect everything from fashion rules, recipes and obsessions to a candid look at adultery, friendships, love and sex. It is witty and fun and reads like an outrageous gossip session with a bestie – I read it cover to cover in one amused sitting.